An applicant must complete 44 hours of required pre-nursing courses. Of the 44 hours of required pre-nursing courses, the following 31 hours must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to application and must appear on the transcript.
- ACSM 1110: Academic Seminar (1 credit hour)
- WRIT 1310: College Writing I (3 credit hours)
- MATH 1315: College Algebra (3 credit hours)
- CHEM 1310: Chemical Fundamentals (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 2310: Human Anatomy & Physiology I (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 2310L: Human Anatomy & Physiology (1 credit hour)
- PSYC 1310: Introductory Psychology (3 credit hours)
- WRIT 1311: College Writing II (3 credit hours)
- COMM 1310: Interpersonal Communication (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 2311: Human Anatomy & Physiology II (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 2311L: Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab II (1 credit hour)
- BIOL 2325: Fundamentals of Microbiology (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 2325L: Fundamentals of Microbiology (1 credit hours)
Additionally, it is recommended that all applicants to the foundational BSN program meet the following minimum admission requirements:
- Be in good academic standing at OLOL College.
- Have completed 9 credit hours at OLOL College.
- Have completed with a grade of C or better or have in progress the following pre-nursing courses: BIOL 2320, MATH 2315, PSYC 2330 and NURS 2410*.
- Have earned a grade point average of 2.75 or higher on pre-nursing courses in the BSN curriculum.
- Have earned a grade of C or better in the pre-nursing courses in the BSN curriculum.
- Be in good academic standing from any previously admitted nursing programs(s). A letter of good standing should be submitted in support of the application and mailed to the Office of Admissions at the time of application.
- Have achieved a cumulative score of 75% or higher on the HESI Admission Assessment (A2). The HESI A2 must include all modules (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, Learning Styles, and Personality Profile) and must have been taken within the last five years. Please note: an applicant who has earned a non-nursing baccalaureate degree or higher is exempt from taking the HESI exam.
* Please note: These prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to beginning the first semester of the nursing curriculum.
Final program acceptance is contingent on approval from the Louisiana State Board of Nursing (LSBN).
Students requesting transfer into the BSN program from an accredited nursing program must:
- Be eligible to re-enter the nursing program from which s/he is transferring.
- Meet the established admission criteria for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
- Submit an application and required documentation specific to the BSN program to the Office of Admissions by July 15 for spring and by January 15 for fall.
- Submit the following documents to the School of Nursing addressed to the Dean, School of Nursing, by the published application deadline:
Letter indicating intent to transfer from another nursing program
Transcript of all previous coursework
Letter of good standing from prior nursing program(s)
- Schedule a meeting with the School of Nursing's administration to discuss transfer credits and placements in the curriculum. This meeting can only be scheduled after all required documents have been received by the School of Nursing.
Following the meeting with the applicant, Nursing administration will review the applicant's request and make a recommendation to the Admission and Progression Committee regarding eligibility and transfer of courses. The Admission and Progression Committee will make the final decision regarding admission to the program and transfer of nursing courses.