The purpose of the nurse anesthesia program is to prepare the registered nurse for advanced clinical practice in the field of anesthesia as a certified registered nurse anesthetist. The graduates of this program receive a Master of Science Degree in Nurse Anesthesia. Upon successful completion, the student will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination offered by the National Board on Certification and Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA).
Applicants to the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia program must complete an application specific to the program. Applications are due on or before November 1st for the August class. Enrollment is limited and admission is via a competitive selection process.
Length of Program
This program is a 28 month program of study with 20 months of continuous study and no provision for part-time study. The program does not follow the traditional semester format of the College.
Visit the Admission Requirements page on the web site and print out Application Materials or contact the Office of Admissions at 225-768-1700.
See the published MSNA Tuition & Fee Schedule on our Web site.
Our Lady of the Lake College has financial aid counselors available to assist students with the financial aid process. All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Graduation Rate/Certification Pass Rate/Employment Outlook
The graduation rate for the class of 2013 was 84.4% and the graduation rate since program inception is 86.24%. The graduating class of 2013 had a 100% first time pass rate on the national certification examiniation. Since program inception, 98% of graduates passed the examination on the first attempt, with the remaining 2% passing on the second attempt. All graduates from the MSNA program have been employed within 6 months of graduation as CRNAs.
Transfer credit for graduate courses from other institutions will be accepted according to college policy. Students may be allowed to transfer up to three credit hours of graduate level statistics to be used toward the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia degree.
Our Lady of the Lake College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Our Lady of the Lake College. Our Lady of the Lake College Nurse Anesthesia program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA), 222 S. Prospect Ave., Park Ridge, IL 60068-4001 and can be reached at 847-655-1160, via fax at 847-692-7137 or by email: email@example.com. Initial accreditation was for 10 years with the next onsite visit review in 2018.
The Masters of Science in Nurse Anesthesia program is fully approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing (17373 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810, (225) 755-7500, www.lsbn.state.la.us) and holds accreditation from Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (3343 Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 500, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000, http://acenursing.org).
The Council on Accreditation for Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) has mandated that all students accepted into accredited entry-level programs on or after January 1, 2022 must graduate with doctoral degrees. Our Lady of the Lake College received Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC) and COA approval to offer the DNP in nurse anesthesia and is awaiting Louisiana State Board of Nursing (LSBN) approval. Please visit our website later this semester for updates about our DNP program.