Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to Address Alumni Questions During the Name Change and Re-branding
The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady announced on October 4, 2016 that Our Lady of the Lake College will change its name to Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University. Founded in 1923, Our Lady of the Lake College is the only Catholic Franciscan institution of higher education in the southeastern United States.
The announcement of the new name kicks off a transition that will include a re-branding, a new logo, and possibly new institutional affinities like colors and a mascot. Full implementation of the new name will take up to a year to complete. In the meantime letter head, mast heads, labels, signage, will use “Our Lady of the Lake College: A Franciscan University” with the current health system logo.
NOTE: This FAQ page is a working document designed to address questions brought up by the different constituents of the University. If you have any additional questions not listed here please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. This FAQ page will be revised as new questions come up so please refer to this page periodically.
- Why did the College decide to change its name? The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady, the College’s founders, selected the new name to more accurately represent the level of academic programs now offered and to reflect the enhanced Franciscan identity of the institution.Originally founded as a school of nursing in 1923 by the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady, this institution over the past decade has expanded and developed new programs, including doctoral degree programs. In December of 2017 the first doctoral cohort will graduate and it was felt that transitioning the name to University was timely and accurate. Since there already exists an Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, Texas, the Sisters selected a name that describes the proud Franciscan heritage of the institution.
- When will the first diplomas have the new name? December 2017
- How will the School of Nursing be represented in the new branding? With the institutional name change, the University’s School of Nursing will retain the name Our Lady of the Lake School of Nursing at the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University in honor of the school’s proud legacy of nursing school graduates.
- Does this new name signify a change in the relationship with Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center (OLOLRMC) or the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System (FMOLHS)? It is important to note that the change in name does not change the essential relationship that we share with Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center and the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System. Rather, the name-change is one in a series of strategic developments aimed at strengthening the University’s long term capacity to serve and support our health system, the community and our Church.
- Can you give me a rough estimate of the timeline for the name change and rebranding? The timeline is now through September 2017 for the key deliverables: logo, colors, fonts, etc.
- How would the University prefer alumni to list the new name on CVs and resumes? Alumni should list the name that the institution was called at the time of graduation. Use formerly, OLOL College or use now “Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University.”
- If someone asks, what is the name of the institution that I graduated from? You should say the name that the institution was called at the time of your graduation . . . but feel free to tell people about the new institutional name
- When referring to the University what is the proper acronym to use? FMOLU? We are asking people NOT TO USE ACRONYMS for the name of the institution. Instead, please refer to the institution by our full name, Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University. Do not use the new name on signage, letter heads, mast heads, titles or with the current health system logo. The new name may be used in the body of text or verbally.
- As a part of the re-branding will there be new school colors? Yes.
- I have a College email address that I still use. Will the name change affect my email address? Your “ololcollege.edu” address will remain active until further notice. We expect to transition to a new “.edu” email address sometime in the Spring/Summer 2017. Additional information will be communicated at a later date.
- If I request a transcript, what name will it list . . . the old name (Our Lady of the Lake College) or the new name (Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University)? All transcripts requested after December, 2017 will indicate you are a graduate of Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University
- If I request a replacement diploma, what name will it list? All diplomas issued after December, 2017 will indicate you are a graduate of Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University.
- How will the new name change plans for the future? The name change will enhance our ability to accomplish the University strategic plan.